Thanks to advances in hydraulic fracking, Pennsylvania’s oil and gas economy is experiencing a resurgence as a significant source of energy for not only its residents but also others throughout the United States and the world. In addition, Pennsylvania has become home to an active solar and wind energy production industry. However, between mineral rights owners, landowners, and domestic and foreign oil and gas, coal and other energy and utility companies, numerous competing interests are being governed by a vast set of laws, rules and regulations, some of which date back to the early 1800s. Consequently, it is important for those involved in energy, utility, and mineral rights matters to have knowledgeable and experienced legal counsel.
Comprised of the firm’s major practice areas, the team of attorneys in Meyer, Unkovic & Scott’s Energy, Utilities & Mineral Rights Group offer practical and creative solutions to our clients in the energy and utility-related industries. Our clients include many entities ranging from small companies with primarily domestic operations to major companies with energy operations throughout the world. Our clients’ operations include oil, natural gas, coal, hydro-electric, solar, and wind projects throughout the Commonwealth. Also, we represent mineral rights owners and landowners interested in selling or leasing their oil, gas, and other subsurface interests or those who need assistance resolving disputes regarding title, royalties and payment, and other ownership and leasing issues.
The attorneys in our Energy, Utilities & Mineral Rights Group provide legal services relating to all areas of energy, minerals and utilities law. We are equipped to handle many legal matters, including business formations, contract and lease negotiations, mergers and acquisitions, due diligence, title review and examination, complex commercial litigation, tax and business planning, employment law issues, construction law matters, insurance coverage issues, and real property transactions and litigation. Our clients in the energy and utility-related industries know we will do our best to provide them quality legal services in a cost-effective manner.
The particular services we offer our energy and utility-related clients include:
- Business and corporate formation, meeting minutes and resolution drafting, employment contract preparation, business purchases and sales, advice and document preparation regarding capital structuring, seed funding, venture capital and other commercial financing, mergers and acquisitions, and other business structuring and planning services.
- Contract matters, including negotiation and documentation of oil and gas leases and various other energy-related contracts (e., acquisition, exploration/drilling, development, sales, storage, transportation, farmout, joint operating, administrative service and confidentiality agreements).
- Real estate acquisition and development, residential and commercial lending and loan preparation, title work, zoning issues, and other commercial real estate services.
- Counsel and representation regarding title policy defense, mortgage foreclosures, tax assessment appeals, condemnation, environmental contamination, and zoning litigation.
- Business dispute resolution, including pursuit of utility collection actions and prosecution and defense of claims for breach of contract and warranties, disputes under Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code or other convention or treaty, and issues involving franchise agreements and other methods of distribution.
- Tort claim litigation, including defense of products liability, toxic torts, errors and omissions, premises liability, and general liability matters.
- Oil and gas lease litigation, including prosecution and defense of claims for breach of lease, lease enforcement, royalties and payment, injunctive relief, specific performance, ejectment, and quiet title.
- Construction dispute litigation, including prosecution and defense of claims involving pipelines and other transportation platforms, and mechanics’ liens.
- Insurance coverage counsel and representation, including claims for coverage under property, commercial general liability, directors and officers, and errors and omissions insurance policies.
- Employment law and employee benefit counsel and representation, including advice on pension, profit-sharing and 401(k) plans, and on other opportunities for executive and employee compensation.
- Employee-related counsel and representation, including wage payment disputes, PHRC and EEOC hearings, and alleged discrimination based on race, sex, gender identity and handicap.
- Taxation and estate and tax planning.
- Bankruptcy and creditor rights, including defense of preference and fraudulent transfer claims.
What Makes Us Different?
- We were named by our clients to the BTI Power Rankings 2016 as one of 17 law firms with the strongest client relationships in the energy industry.
- Drawing on the firm’s strengths in real estate and lending, litigation, construction law, intellectual property, insurance law and tax matters, we employ an interdisciplinary approach to advising our clients on a wide range of legal issues unique to the energy and utility industries.
- Our firm’s affiliation in Meritas gives our clients access to lawyers in mid-sized firms around the world that are flexible, accommodating, and attentive.
Please review our list of representative matters or contact any of the attorneys listed below to learn more about how Meyer, Unkovic & Scott can help those with matters or issues involving energy, utility, and mineral rights.