The Real Estate & Lending Group of Meyer, Unkovic & Scott has extensive experience in all facets of commercial leasing law. We have drafted building-wide office leases, negotiated and drafted leases for particular tenants, and protected the interests of building owners in situations where tenants have defaulted in performance.
The Group’s representation of clients include both landlords and tenants in a variety of situations, including shopping centers, office buildings, industrial properties and residential apartments. The Group has represented a number of Fortune 500 clients in connection with their nationwide leasing activities. It is also noteworthy that the Real Estate & Lending Group has extensive experience with Pennsylvania eviction laws and procedures.
The Real Estate & Lending Group also advises clients on sustainable development matters including those related to the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) rating systems. We counsel clients on integrating LEED or other green building rating systems into leases for green buildings. Many such rating systems require additional or new obligations to be placed on landlords and tenants, which must be carefully evaluated so that a landlord or tenant client will fully understand the scope of their obligations.
Some of the complex leasing transactions which the Firm has been involved with include the following:
- Representation of an international engineering firm in its negotiation of a 300,000 square foot, build-to-suit office building lease, one of the largest office lease transactions for that year in Pittsburgh.
- For a national technology concern, we negotiated a complex build-to-suit leasing agreement for 190,000+ square feet, including office space and clean rooms in a LERTA tax abatement zone with Act 2 clearance. The resulting 20 year lease including parking for more than 250 employees.
- For a large engineering company, we negotiated a 21 year lease agreement for 172,000 square feet of office space in a retrofitted warehouse. The agreement included parking for 150 employees and the right to expand or contract the space and the option to terminate after 11 years.
- The Group represented a national bank in connection with its negotiation of a lease covering approximately 110,000 square feet for a disaster recovery site.
- We have represented numerous corporations in connection with sale-leasebacks, including the sale of an industrial property in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, which was subsequently completely renovated and leased back to the selling corporation pursuant to a long term lease agreement.