Joseph A. Carroll is an Associate in Meyer, Unkovic & Scott’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group. Joe focuses his practice on commercial disputes in both state and federal court.
Joe has experience in a wide array of civil litigation matters, including breach of contract, negligence, nuisance, other tort matters, intellectual property, employment law, restrictive covenants, non-competition agreements, residential and commercial real estate litigation, opening or striking confessed judgements, and collection matters. Joe handles insurance coverage matters including property, business interruption, contingent business interruption, civil authority, event cancellation, and general liability coverage. He has frequently dealt with service animal and emotional support animal issues.
Joe received his J.D. from the Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law in May 2017. Joe graduated second in his class and earned a number of awards, including CALI Excellence for the Future Awards for the highest grade in fourteen of his classes and the American Legal Institute’s Scholarship & Leadership Award. He served as the Managing Editor for the Penn State Law Review, as well as a research assistant for multiple professors.
During law school, Joe worked as a summer intern at a small general practice law firm in Somerset, Pennsylvania and at the Somerset County Public Defender’s Office. He also served as a summer law clerk for President Judge D. Gregory Geary and Judge Scott Bittner of the Somerset County Court of Common Pleas. Following law school, Joe served as a federal law clerk for Judge Kim R. Gibson of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- American Bar Association, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Member
- Civil Litigation Section, Member
- Construction Law Section, Member
- Federal Court Section, Member
- Young Lawyers Division, Member
- Somerset County Bar Association, Member
- Pittsburgh Pro Bono Partnership, Administrative Board Member
- Landlord Tenant Project and Landlord Tenant Pro Se Assistance Project, Volunteer
- Pro bono representation of low-income tenants for appeals of housing determinations
- Pro bono representation of low-income tenants at Housing Court mediations
Joe grew up in Somerset, Pennsylvania, where he attended Somerset Area Senior High School. He now resides in the Greenfield neighborhood of Pittsburgh with his wife and his ludicrously spoiled cat. Joe is an avid musician and enjoys following Pittsburgh sports and playing and watching tennis.